Points to consider:
- Carefully crafted lesson design provides a step-by-step, conceptual journey through the mathematics, engaging pupils in reasoning and the development of mathematical thinking.
- Problems are in designed using variation theory.
- Teachers design tasks incorporating conceptual variation.
- What is it? What isn’t it?
- Teachers design tasks incorporating procedural variation.
- Same key point, apply to different contexts.
- Same problem, different solutions.
- Step by step problems, key point driven.
- Teacher avoids mechanical repetition and creates an appropriate path for practicing the thinking process with increasing creativity (Gu 2004)
- ‘Intelligent Practice’.