Points to consider:
- A set of ‘positive norms’ for the mathematics classroom are established including the use of ‘yet’, depth of understanding before speed, mistakes are valued and making connections is important.
- Mastery lessons are 35-45 minutes.
- Curriculum time, beyond the mastery maths lesson, is prioritized to improve ‘Number sense’/’Arithmetical Proficiency’.
- ‘Practice makes skilled’ sessions are identified within, and beyond, the school day.
- TAs are clear about their responsibilities during different phases of a mastery lesson.
- Teachers have access to high quality resources to support lesson planning (eg ‘maths manual’/text books, schemes of work/medium term plans identifying small steps for learning/key points).